Since there are many different causes of a balance disorder, there are many different treatment options.
At the UPMC Center for Balance Disorders, we can help you overcome your balance problem through:
- Diet changes
- Physical therapy
- Surgery (not a frequent treatment option)
Managing Symptoms of Balance Disorders
- Helping to control your symptoms is sometimes part of the treatment process for balance disorders.
- When attempting to manage your balance disorder symptoms, please keep the following in mind:
- Not all balance disorders cause the same dizziness symptoms and intensities.
- Problems in the inner ear or the brain can cause balance disorder symptoms. It's important to seek a doctor’s assistance for a proper diagnosis.
- Try to live as normal a life as possible.
- Avoid stressful situations — stress can add to dizziness symptoms.
- Avoid walking on uneven surfaces in the dark.
- Medication for dizziness can help in some cases, but not always. Do not take any medication before consulting a doctor.
- Physical therapy can help some dizziness and balance problems.